Tuesday, January 19, 2010

ESPN analysts

Today in class, we talked about how some people may feel there is a double standard in regards to people like Bob Knight working at ESPN. Well couldn't that, in a way, be said about many of the people that ESPN hires?

Now let me say right away that I am not the biggest of fans when it comes to former athletes/coaches transitioning to the broadcast/media world once they are done with their time involved in the game. Just because you were a coach or player, successful or not, does not qualify you to be someone who can sit there and spew information you think is relevant to others. Now yes, in some cases, these people may have better insights than the normal fan because they were a vital part of the game in the past. But with all of the people that ESPN or CBS or who have you trots out in front of me, it begs me to ask whether I could do a better job.

To me Lee Corso is a man who is just a puppet for the 'Gameday' show. He sits there and talks alot, sometimes it being worthwhile and sometimes not. I would rather listen to Kirk Herbstreit b/c I have more respect in his analyzing abilities. I also cannot stand someone like Dick Vitale. He is another puppet, in a way where he just yells and creates worthless phrases. At times, what he says is valuable but often times it makes u wonder...He also is ACC biased to no extent. I would rather listen to someone like Stephen Bardo or Steve Lavin, two underrated (in my opinion) analysts. So essentially, I feel that the stations that broadcast sports should allow more people are are either fans or people that played when they were younger. Just because you played/coached professionally doesn't make you a better analyst.

No comments:

Post a Comment