Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fan Behavior

Fan behavior has been and will continue to be something that is a vital part in not only sports, but all events where some sort of entertainment is being provided. Unfortunately, in sports we have recently seen fan behavior go to the extreme and well beyond it. When fans have to be banned from high school events or be thrown out of stadiums for spilling beer on top of opposing players, one can see that they have obviously gone too far, but the sad part is that these fans don't see it that way.

In pro sports, it is different that in any other form because of the fact that the people can drink while watching the games. Although you would think that these people would be the most vulgar, that isn't always the case, but I will go into that more later. Now in most cases, I would argue it is the alcohol, but in some cases it's just pure emotion/rage that comes out in these instances. As we talked about in class, all sports fans get excited about their teams and the results that will happen. I remember when the Cubs were in the 2003 playoffs, it was my freshman year at Missouri, and I was going crazy throughout all of the playoffs, because they were o so close to doing something that people hadn't seen for decades! I would get really upset and even throw some things, because I was so invested in what they did. I'm still that way when it comes to Missouri sports. People don't understand but it is one of those things where the closer you were associated with the program, the more you seem to care. And the fact I worked in sports information while there, I knew more and cared more than just the regular fan.

College sports are similar to the above, minus the booze and add a whole bunch of rowdy college kids. So high schools are next and they are in their own breed. Some of the parents of the players can be downright mean, no matter what the score. Their team may be losing by 30, but they will continue to yell and curse at their teenage son or daughters' team/coach/opponent. Some of the language is even more vulgar than what people hear at professional games. Now that is a little crazy, but I don't have children so maybe I will be like that when I get older. Will I be? I don't know, but I sure as hell don't want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment